I'm using the net-snmp-lvs module to interface LVS statistics to SNMP so I can graph them (I'm using OpenNMS).

I have a virtual HTTP service that is balanced across eight real servers. In testing, everything seemed to work just fine and I got some nice graphs that show the Connection Rate, Packet Rate, and Byte Rate for the virtual service and each of the real servers.

This morning, we attempted a cutover, ie. we re-directed real traffic to the new service. Sadly, our perimeter firewall hit > 90% CPU so we had to revert. But, in the time that we were live, I noticed that the Connection Rate statistics were missing for both the virtual service and the real servers for the period in which the service was under high load:

LVS Connection Rate

LVS Packet Rate

LVS Byte Rate

Notice the gap in the Connection Rate graph when the Packet & Byte rate graphs show high values.

I am currently investigating the cause of this issue.

2 thoughts on “net-snmp-lvs module fails under high load

  1. I a trying to move forward with graphing in opennms for this module.   I have read the documents and still a bit confused on the modifications for the datacollection-config.xml and snmp-graph-properties.   I was a curious if you could send me the snippet of both that you used so I can get a better idea on how this is done.    
     
     
    Thank for your help
    .Elliot Davis

Leave a reply

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong> 

required