Picture the scene…

There's a new release of Puppet Enterprise. You download it, run the upgrade in your test environment, run your regression tests, and all looks good. You then upgrade your production master – all looks good. All that remains to be done is to upgrade the puppet agent on all client nodes – all 750 of them.

Now, you could ssh to each node individually and run the PE installer via curl|bash. You could even automate that with pssh, or similar. But there's got to be a better way, right?


This was the position I found myself in earler this week.

I did some digging and found the puppet_agent module which, on the face of it, is written for just this situation. However, the module specifically doesn't automatically upgrade PE if the existing client is running v4.x.x but it *will* upgrade if a package version is passed to the module. Also, by default, it creates a new yum repo file pointing at the upstream Puppet repos which is not necessary on PE installs since the agent packages are already present on the master and available at https://<PUPPET_MASTER>:8140/packages/<PE_VERSION>/<OS+ARCH>/. In fact the PE install process creates a yum config pointing at this repo. This is not upgraded when the master is upgraded.

So, to summarise, I need to solve two issues:

  1. Create a yum config pointing at the new agent software on the master
  2. Pass the specific package version to the puppet_agent class.

I noticed on the puppet master under packages that, in addition to the versioned directories, there was a current link which points to the, er, "current" version of the agent. I also noticed that there was a top-level fact called platform_tag that defined the <OS+ARCH> combination. That gave me enough information to create a repo config that will always point to "current" agent software on the master.

Digging in the puppet_agent class, I found that it used a PE function pe_compiling_server_aio_build() to get the agent version available on the master. I now have all the information I need.

I wrote the following code in my profile::puppet_agent class, which is applied to all nodes:

  yumrepo { 'pe_repo':
    ensure    => present,
    baseurl   => "https://${::puppet_master_server}:8140/packages/current/${::platform_tag}",
    descr     => 'Puppet Labs PE Packages $releasever - $basearch',
    enabled   => 1,
    gpgcheck  => 1,
    gpgkey    => "https://${i::puppet_master_server}:8140/packages/GPG-KEY-puppetlabs",
    proxy     => '_none_',
    sslverify => false,
  }->
  class{ '::puppet_agent':
    manage_repo     => false,
    package_version => pe_compiling_server_aio_build(),
  }

As if by magic, all my client nodes were upgraded to the latest agent software.